1988 Toyota Pickup

1988 Toyota Pickup pictures are not available
1988 Toyota Pickup Prices
1988 Toyota Pickup Fuel Economy
Good old Truck by 4wheeler from Denver on 12/27/2010. Trim: 1988 Toyota Pickup SR5 V6 Xtracab 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great Little truck. I had a '91 and owned it for 12 years and still ran great, never should have sold it. Bought a '03 Tacoma and I still own it, but I wanted a beater to take off road. I've owned the '88 truck now for almost two years and other than an engine problem, explained in the Cons, I've had no issues.
Cons: As others before me have explained with an old truck you gotta keep up with the maintainence. The previous owners let it slide and I inherited a truck that eventually got a blown head gasket due to overheating and a bad/wornout coolant system. The engine is one of the biggest cons with this truck. This was the first year the 3VZ-FE 3.0L V6 came out on this truck, and while yes it does put out more HP than the 22RE 2.4L I4, it was not one of Toyota's better engineered engines. Prown to head gasket issues, especially if they overheat and this engine is difficult to work on. However, if you take care of this engine it is everybit as reliable as the 22RE.
Overall review: Overall I am and will always be biased towards Toyota trucks, especially the mini/compact trucks. However, to do it all over again I would get one with the 22RE, or get a Tacoma that has the larger more reliable 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6. However, I did buy this truck as a project for 4wheeling and eventually I was going to put money into the engine, but not as soon as I thought. Also, with the V6 you get a stronger drive train, which is a big plus when 4wheeling. Anyway, don't let my bad experience with the engine scare you off from buying one, do your own research and make your own choice.
The "T" is for Terrific by Dean: St. Louis on 12/04/2004. Trim: 1988 Toyota Pickup Reg. Cab 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: My truck has 200,000 plus miles and still does not use a drop of oil or any other fluids. The best heating and a/c I have ever had. Surprisingly, there is almost nonexistent surface rust.
Cons: My truck is uncomfortable to ride in and somewhat cramped. Truck also squeaks and groans a little while moving. I was surprised by it's inadequate fuel efficiency for a four cylinder Toyota.
Overall review: The absolute best truck for the money that i have ever purchased.
Work Truck by RRH Thousand Oaks, California on 08/29/2002. Trim: 1988 Toyota Pickup 1 Ton Reg. Cab Long Bed 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The best work truck for the money.
Cons: Exhaust manifold studs break at higher mileage Replacement spare wheel cost $140.00 Replacement jack cost $145.00 Parts are priced like Cadillac
Overall review: Great Work Truck
Great Truck by A CarPoint Consumer on 05/27/2002. Trim: 1988 Toyota Pickup DLX V6 Xtracab 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: The Body is not the greatest, but the truck still rocks.
1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup by Chris from Atlanta, GA. on 04/23/2002. Trim: 1988 Toyota Pickup SR5 Reg. Cab 4WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I've bought this truck new and have owned it for the past 12 years. I only have 92K on it. It has been trouble free, except for the AC. I'm now having it painted and plan on keeping it for at least the next seven years. It has been a great investment.
Cons: Lacking power. I'm sure a V6 would be better for this truck, but it's fine for light loads and a little off-road fun.
Overall review: Buy one.